Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 93 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 
 [us]
 Post subject: 30 Games on MFGG Worth Playing
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:29 pm 
Always have a Shy-Guy in your avatar
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

MFGG will soon be celebrating its tenth anniversary - which is a pretty nifty achievement in the Internet world - and while there's rumored to be something else in store for July 16, I've decided to replace my usual Game of the Month feature with something a little more special in honor of this milestone. Each day I'll write a short feature on one of the most notable games in MFGG's history - probably 30 if all goes well. And if people are interested enough we might be able to include a feature from a notable guest author, or even a gameplay video or Let's Play for a few of the games. The selections here aren't "official" and weren't voted on by anyone, so nominations for high-rated or very popular games might be accepted.

Index
July 2: Super Mario Epic 2
July 3: Super Mario Stardust
July 4: Normal Super Mario Bros.
July 5: Super Mario Bros. DDX
July 6: Super Mario Storm
July 7: Late Night Mario 2
July 8: Koopa: A Winter's Tale
July 9: Toad Strikes Back
July 10: Paper Bowser World
July 11: Yoshi vs. Windows
July 12: Midas Machine
July 13: Aftermath
July 14: Waligie DX
July 15: Super Mario Fangame
July 16: What is This Thing? - Episode 1
July 17: Thingio Side A: Let's Go! Thingio!
July 18: Super Luigi and the Golden Shrooms
July 19: Super Hammer Bros.
July 20: Highway Trouble
July 21: Super Mario: Blue Twilight DX
July 22: Super Luigi Dreams
July 23: Mario vs. the Koopas
July 24: V-Ware
July 25: Mario Pipe Network
July 26: Psycho Waluigi
July 27: Super Mario and the Sacred Bells
July 28: MFGG Ware
July 29: Kittie Quest
July 30: Paper Mario World
July 31: New and Tasty

Last edited by VinnyVideo on Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:48 pm, edited 32 times in total.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
 Post subject: Re: 30 Games on MFGG Worth Playing
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:29 pm 
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Super Mario Epic 2 by Captain Jeff Silvers

Released back in 2004, Super Mario Epic 2 remains a winner thanks to its quality gameplay, excellent level design, and abundance of features. While the game's mechanics are somewhat crude, relying on the default Clickteam and all of its glitches, the game includes a very nice selection of power-ups and includes a lot of enemies and obstacles that are rarely seen even in today's fangames. SME 2's story isn't extremely complex - in short, Wart has created an evil machine that gives the Mushroom People horrible nightmares, and Mario must destroy it - but the plot sets up the gameplay well enough and doesn't feel frightfully out of place in a Mario game, in contrast to so many other fangames. The game includes a good difficulty curve, and while the main game isn't extremely tough, it'll take a lot of diligence to obtain all the Ace Coins hidden in each level, an objective that reportedly leads to a very special surprise when completed.

Lastly, we can pray that one day the Cap'n will throw us a curveball and shock the planet with a completed version of Super Mario Epic 3, though I wouldn't hold my breath...

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:50 pm 
Needs more Custom Title Request forum.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
i still believe in the myth that there is a major WIP of SME3 stored somewhere on one (or more) of Jeff Silver's hard drives - this mostly is founded by faith and the fact that i see him on AIM sometimes

but yeah, SME2 was an awesome sequel - another example of the default Clickteam engine not hindering anything of a fangame, if it's done well enough!

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:31 am 
Real horses don't run into trees
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Nice choice to start off with, can't wait for the next 29 games, also I should play this game again.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:01 am 
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Super Mario Stardust by Avi

Like Super Mario Epic 2, Super Mario Stardust is a platform game that doesn't reinvent the wheel, but instead offers great gameplay with superb execution. Stardust is one of a tiny number of games on MFGG where the developer made virtually all the graphics herself (yes, a girl made this game, a small rarity in itself), giving the game a look that's fresh and appealing and full of originality. And rather than opting for the often-grating MIDIs or bulky MP3s, Avi uses ImpulseTracker modules for music, which gives the game good-quality music that doesn't feel "over the top." Super Mario Stardust's eight levels are pretty long, so don't expect to beat the game in five minutes, and each has its own character, even if some of the later worlds feel somewhat similar to one another. The originality of the game engine also compensates for its very minor jumping glitches. All in all, Super Mario Stardust is one of those games that leaves a good taste in your mouth, and beginning fangame makers (or indie developers, for that matter) would be wise to take note of the many things it does right.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:21 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
oh yeah, i remember her

so many MFGGers had the hots for her - and then she started making games and split those guys in two: the side that realized they didn't have a chance, and the side that just found her programming ability that much hotter

and her game is definitely higher quality, and an enjoyable experience during that era. plus, it just came out of no where

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:02 am 
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Normal Super Mario Bros. by Gamester (a.k.a. Burninleo)

Zipping forward to the more recent era of early 2009, Normal Super Mario Bros. is as normal as any Mario fangame gets. Sure, there's a battle with Sub-Zero from Mortal Kombat, a tank assault against 4chan smilies, and a bunch of Bill Clinton-head Goombas, but no rational person would consider any of that abnormal in the least. The surreal graphics are totally normal as well and are just like those you see in your average Hello SMB1 Engine game. Ditto for the sound effects - because Bill Clinton is a major element in most games on MFGG. Once you've played Normal SMB, you'll realize it's just a remake of the first level of the original NES Super Mario Bros., and you surely won't be feeling dazed or bewildered by what you just played.

The first Normal SMB was such a normal, conventional, inside-the-box experience that the developer made two more games - Normal SMB 2 and Normal SMB 3 - because of popular demand. Many MFGGers eagerly await the slim possibility of a Normal Super Mario World as well. While I personally consider Normal SMB 2 to be the best game in the series, and Normal SMB 3 was probably the most popular, I'm only including the original game in the 30 Games Worth Playing feature to avoid redundancy.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:17 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
it was interesting, because it was an insanely zany game like Waligie - only it had its own separate charm, so it didn't feel like it was trying to attempt a Waligie-like game

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:34 am 
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Super Mario Bros. DDX by Guinea

Super Mario Bros. DDX is another platform game that stands out from the herd thanks to its quality level design and abundance of originality. SMB DDX draws most of its inspiration - in terms of both graphics and gameplay - from the original NES Super Mario Bros., but it's anything but another SMB clone. Pretty much every level in the game feels fresh and innovative, and you'll face some unique bosses that will really make you think outside the box. Guinea's All-Mario Engine does a good job of copying the original SMB feel while mitigating some of the annoyances in the original game's physics, just as the game's graphical appearance stays faithful to SMB's style while offering bettering coloring and shading. The game even has a semi-decent story. Lastly, there's some legitimate replay value in this game - even after you've beaten the main quest the first time, you still probably wouldn't have unlocked all the levels, and the level select is a very nice addition that I wish we saw more often on MFGG.

User page at mfgg.net

[at]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:48 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Cool overview.

I think this is also a chance to announce something Super Mario Bros. DDX related which will come out on the anniversary day (July 16th).
And no, it's not a sequel (yet) or anything big really.

EDIT: Sorry TD! I won't ever do it again.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:51 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
i actually never even played that game (probably because i just saw it as a SMB remake)

i'll get to that, then!

User page at mfgg.net

[aq]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:40 pm 
Founder
[F]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Guinea wrote:
I think this is also a chance to announce something Super Mario Bros. DDX related which will come out on the anniversary day (July 15th).

The 16th, kiddo. ;P

Psychic Cyclopean Silverware IN SPACE!
Follow updates (among other things) on The Twitterbooks!
(if you followed my old personal account, this is a different one - follow it instead!)

Engine test demo and more @
EyesInEverything.com

[at]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:42 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
i actually never even played that game (probably because i just saw it as a SMB remake)

i'll get to that, then!

I knew I should have given the game a subtitle to make clear it's not just an improved version of Super Mario Bros. Deluxe or a remake or anything. :/
But I had no idea what, because it basically IS Super Mario Bros., and the story has so many twists in it that I can't name it after anything in that story. =P

@TD:
Fixed ;_;

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:20 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
Super Mario Bros: How Many Stories Did You Want Again?

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:21 pm 
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

My eternal apologies, Your Majesty. I fixed the anniversary date in the original post.

Also, it sounds like people are actually going back and playing some of the games I'm covering - which is exactly what this list is supposed to do!

User page at mfgg.net

[aq]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:48 pm 
Founder
[F]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Actually, wait, scratch that. Checking the archives, the anniversary is actually on July 9th. July 16th is only according to the MFGG wiki... which I have no doubt gone on and on and on about being totally inaccurate. I should have known better than to rely on that! D;

So, yeah, so so SO sorry everyone. ^_^;;

If you want proof it's July 9th: http://web.archive.org/web/200111210725 ... rchive.htm

(if you followed my old personal account, this is a different one - follow it instead!)

EyesInEverything.com

[at]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:15 am 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
^Uh-oh, that means we all have to hurry to get the stuff done in time O.o

Also, awesome webdesign you had there, TD ;)
Hard to believe that out of that came the MFGG of today.

User page at mfgg.net

[us]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:19 pm 
Administrator
[A]
[S]
[W]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

MFGG wrote:
Sorry for the lack of updates, blame sch**l for that.

Our visuals have come a long way, haven't they? I had no idea our anniversary was really July 9 - someone wrote 7/16 in the Wiki years ago, and for 5+ years this date has been accepted as fact, even though we have proof now that isn't true. Anyway, I guess I'll have to get a little busier on some things, although I think we'll have to drag out the other festivities for a few days. And anyway...

Super Mario Storm by Press Start

This may be the first remotely controversial pick I've made so far, but Super Mario Storm is a worthy addition to the list. SMS is a collection of simple microgames, each featuring a different member of the circa-2002 MFGG forums (most, but not all, of whom are no longer active). Whether you're making sandwiches to settle Supertoad's queso-deprived stomach or trying to stay alive in Mugenmidget's Evil Circus, the ridiculous scenarios are always worth a laugh, as are the deliberately "bad" (though charming and free of clashing, thankfully) MS Paint graphics. This game isn't for everyone, true, but it's a great time killer and one of the higher-quality relics of MFGG's past. The demo of Super Mario Storm 2 is also good - while it's just a demo, it's arguably the better game, although I'm including only the original to avoid littering the Top 30 with too many sequels.

User page at mfgg.net

[ca]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:12 pm 
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
heck yeah Super Mario Storm

still wish the second one was made

User page at mfgg.net

[aq]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:02 pm 
Founder
[F]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

Yes, "school" was in fact censored on the old ezboard -- ah, the joys of being a 14-year old. ;P

And yeah, Super Mario Storm may have aged terribly, but once you get past the vast multitude of glitches, you have a genuinely fun and innovative little package. It was like Wario Ware before we even knew about Wario Ware.

Quote:
The demo of Super Mario Storm 2 is also good - while it's just a demo, it's arguably the better game, although I'm including only the original to avoid littering the Top 30 with too many sequels.

Also, I think it would make more sense to stick with mostly full games, though no one will complain if something like, say, Pipe Network would show up. Chalk that one up alongside Super Mario Storm 2 as the games I want to see finished despite the fact that they most likely won't be. D;

EyesInEverything.com

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 93 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked